I LOVE Halloween! There are so many cool things you can do craft and cooking wise.
Today I decided to put on “Snow White: A Tale of Horror” and make some eerie Poison Apples! (If you haven’t seen that movie, its pretty awesome.)
So these were super easy to make, and came out pretty awesome looking.
You Will Need:
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon of salt (or less) (Optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 -2 cups special dark chocolate chips (Depending on how rich you want it)
5-10 drips of black food coloring (optional)
5 of your favorite apples (I used Honey Crisp apples and they were beautiful and tasted AMAZING!)
What You Need To Do:
1. Add the sugar and water to a saucepan.
2. Allow the sugar mixture to settle on the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium / medium high heat and let the sugar to dissolve. Continue to heat until the sugar mixture starts to turn to a golden color. Shake the pan occasionally to redistribute the sugar on the bottom of the pan. This will help to brown the sugar evenly and keeps it smooth and creamy in the heating process. (You can stir the mixture before it heats up with a wooden spoon but not too much. The sugar has to stay in contact with the heat on the bottom of the pan to brown and dissolve completely.)
3. As soon as the sugar turns a golden brown, remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream into the hot sugar mixture. Adding the cream causes the mixture to bubble up and transform into caramel. Stir to combine until the sauce is creamy and evenly golden throughout. Cook the sauce on low heat for one more minute, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the pan from the heat, add the vanilla, Chocolate, salt (optional) and stir well with whisk.
5. Skewer the apples to prepare for dipping, and dip them into the chocolate caramel sauce. Evenly turn the apple in the sauce until evenly coated.
6. Place apples on parchment or wax paper and let dry for 2-3 hours (the chocolate will become solid– allowing them to be wrapped easily).
7. Pour the extra sauce into a jar and enjoy another day with ice cream… (well that is what I am going to do)
This keeps in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or so. But I think it will be consumed before it can go bad.